This is a healthier alternative to pre-packaged oatmeal. This five-grain meal can be stored in the freezer in Baggies and then added to boiling water for a quick and yummy breakfast. Add 1/2 a cup of cereal mix to 1 1/2 cups of boiling water to make one serving. Top with your favorite berries to add some antioxidants.
- 1/3 a cup of flax seed
- 1 1/4 a cup of steel-cut oats
- 2/3 a cup of dried organic apricots, chopped
- 2/3 a cup of dried organic apples, chopped
- 2/3 a cup of dried organic dehydrated banana chips ( no sugar added)
- 1/4 cup of cracked wheat
- 1/2 a cup of uncooked grits
- 1/2 a cup of oat bran
- 1/3 a cup of wheat bran
- 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- Place the flax seed in a food processor and process until ground.
- Combine the flax seed and remaining ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Measure a 1/2 a cup into individual bags or cook the cereal now:
- Bring 13 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add cereal mix cover and reduce heat. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the cereal allow it to cook for an additional 2 minutes then remove from heat.
- Best to serve this right away after it has been cooked.